Monday 3 April 2017

Semester 2. Week 6, Independent Study, Movement

For this independent study, I wanted to focus on getting the technique of conveying movement improved.  I really find movement very difficult, especially as this semester i'm trying to do less scribbled drawings, and it's so easy to slip into it when i'm trying to draw quickly. 

I believe the most successful pieces are figure (2) and figure (8) in the way they convey movement, I don't think the rest are very good but they are experiments so I don't mind. 

I definitely preferred pen over ink and brush in this exercise as I had more control of where things were going. I would have used charcoal, as I like this to do quick movements but I don't have different colours of it and I think the colours are also a key part in making it look like a moving piece. Particularly the blue and red technique.

(1)
Observed Drawing - Guitar Playing
Fine Liner and Red Pen 
5 Min

I wasn't particularly proud of this piece, although it was a good starting point.

(2)
Observed Drawing - Guitar Playing #2
Byro Pen, Red Pen and Blue Pen
10 Min

This second piece was much more successful. I felt I captured the movements well and that using two colours and taking my time were what made the difference. 



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4cLvDte8iI&list=PLrdnztWm2mx7sJnb9MrjRsyAoNDxmxCTJ
Homesick Stanza/ An Ode to Home - Spoken Word Poems by Miguel Guerreiro Lourenço
(3)
Secondary Source - Poetry Video of Friend Filmed by Me 
HB Pencil and Coloured Pencils
5 Min

Here I focused on portrait and facial movement as the camera was fairly zoomed in and he looks up at the camera now and again. I like this piece but it would have looked better in pen.  



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjPBrBU-TM 

Sia - Chandelier (Official Video)
(4)
Attempt at Capturing Dance
Fine Liner

This went wrong, the dancing was too quick in the video so I decided to do another one.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc1esMeDb5k
How To Slow Dance - Social Dancing 101


For the next three pieces I played this video again and again and tried to capture movement. To begin with, in figure (5) I used ink as we'd used this in class and I liked it, but I misjudged the size and found it difficult. I decided that I'd take a more simple approach so with figure (6) I did silhouettes, but they ended up looking terrible. Lastly, in figure (7) I used byro and it worked out much better. It still wasn't perfect though so I found another video to work from.
(5)
Slow Dance Tutorial Attempt #1
Ink, Water and Brush

(6)
Slow Dance Tutorial Attempt #2
Ink, Water and Brush

(7)
Slow Dance Tutorial Attempt #3
Byro Pen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_f9B4pPtg
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky / Nina Kaptsova - Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy / 2010

I found this video a lot better to use to show movement. The ballet dancer repeated movements while she danced through the song and I could replicate them on page. I am not happy at all with figure (9) as I think it just looks messy, possibly because of the use of only red ink., which I think I may have watered down too much. However, I'm really happy with figure (8). I did the red figures first then the black, and it goes through the entire dance left to right, finishing with a curtsy. I feel this is one of the most successful pieces in showing movement.

(8)
Ballet Dance Attempt #1
Ink, Water and Brush

(9)
Ballet Dance Attempt #2
Ink, Water and Brush

No comments:

Post a Comment