Monday 3 April 2017

Semester 2. Week 8, Location Drawing River Walk 4 Pieces

It took me a few trips to get down the parts of the river I wanted. I am proud of two pieces and not pleased with the other two, but I take that as a win because I see where I went wrong and I know that next time I will do things differently.

The theme I chose to go with, to show differing parts of the river, was the way that the people of Worcester interacted with it. I wish that for figure (1) I would have gone for further down the river where the dam is, where there is no people. I generally dislike this drawing as I was going for an empty feel but looking at it now it just looks unfinished.

I am really pleased with figure (2) and my attempt at continuous line. I think it shows what I'm trying to show, people using the river and being part of it, in a way that conveys movement.

I'm not completely pleased with figure (3). At the time, charcoal seemed like the right medium to use to get a good reflection on the water but it doesn't look like water at all. I wish I'd brought inks or watercolour paint with me, that would have been a better medium to use. 

Figure (4) is one of my favourite pieces so far. I wanted to emulate the style of Carl Larsson (a Swedish painter that has been influencing my work for a long time) and so used watercolour pencils. The effect it has created only using water on the river, and not on the houses, is really effective and I'm so proud of this piece. I'm also pleased because I've found water difficult to draw for a long time and only if the past few weeks challenged myself to try anyway.

(1)
Empty by the River
Pencil & Fine Liner

(2)
The People in the River
Byro
Continuous Line
(3)
The People on the River
Charcoal
(4)
The People Above the River
Watercolour Pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment